Dance with Alchemy of Movement online
and 10% of your dancing dollars will
go towards Dance 2B Free!
La Vista, Pueblo, CO
Dance 2B Free has completed two teacher-trainings in Pueblo’s medium-security women’s prison. Thirty five incarcerated women have completed our program! Three of our graduates finished their sentences and are now sustaining the program in Boulder and Littleton’s half-way house.
Nebraska Correctional Center for Women
Dance 2B Free completed three teacher-trainings at NCCW, where two of the trainings were for the general population (GP) and one was offered to the Substance Abuse Unit (SAU). The SAU consists of women who are in prison for a drug related crime and SAU is the last phase of their time in prison before being released. Some of the women in the GP are serving longer sentences and can associate with other units in the prison. We are finding that the SAU is highly motivated and eager to learn a new skill as they are leaving prison much sooner than those in GP.
Gig Harbor Washington, Washington Corrections Center for Women
Dance 2B Free is teaching the staff and inmates at WCCW in late February of 2017! We are fortunate to have met the Warden, Dona Zavislan as she is the former Warden of DWCF!
In 2017 we are expanding into four women’s prisons in Arkansas. Sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of the page to receive all our updates as we embark on this exciting expansion!
D2BF Long Term Goals
Dance 2B Free is teaching inmates how to become dance teachers as they complete their sentences and move back into their communities after being released.
We expanded into Pueblo in June, 2016 and York, NE in July 2016. Our first Teacher-Training was at Denver Women’s Correctional Facility where 3 inmates are learning how to choreograph, lead, cue, inspire, connect and create!
These 3 graduates have completed 28 D2BF’s Intensive & Teacher-Training hours. They have completed weekly journal assignments, shown up on time to each meeting and dove into the complexities of becoming a fabulous teacher!
D2BF is replicating this format of the Teacher-Training in and out of state! It takes $400 per inmate to certify them to become a D2BF teacher. Help us reach our long term goals and make a donation today!
It costs about $5,000 to fund one full Teacher Training. Click the link to sponsor a prison today!
Room and BoardSupport Dance 2B Free Staff lodging
- Lucy and two volunteers need lodging while providing services to prisons for one week.
Director SalarySupport staff salary
- Our director Lucy Wallace will be traveling out of state to educate the inmates to become dance teachers over the course of one week per prison. $1400 pay to Lucy breaks down to $50 an hour over the course of 7 days.
FoodFood for one week
- Help support Lucy and two volunteers pay for meals – 3 meals per day for one week!
GasSupport transportation to Nebraska
- We will be traveling by car from Boulder Colorado and are looking for contributions to our travel fund.
Your generous contribution of $400 certifies one inmate to become a dance teacher as they complete their sentence. This skill can be used while they are still serving time or when they exit the prison system. Some inmates serving life sentences have the option of teaching their fellow inmates dance. Job skills after prison reduce recidivism and increase self-esteem.
Michelle is completing the first Teacher-Training program at DWCF as of 5/24/16! She is going to be an inspiring, strong and emotional leader! She has been dancing in D2BF’s Sunday’s class since our first day. She will be released in a few years and plans on teaching in her community.Michelle Martin
Sarah is a clean, powerful and confident leader! She is completing the Teacher-Training at DWCF on 5/24/16 ready to teach as she completes her sentence. Her poetry, presence and choreography has been beautiful and enriching for the volunteers and participants! We look forward to her classes!Sarah B.
Chrystie has been a playful, kind and helpful presence from the first day of the teacher-training at DWCF. She brings a kind, welcoming energy to her choreography and encouragement of others as they deepen in their dance practice. She is going to be a wonderful addition to the Dance 2B Free teachers at DWCF!
How our Teacher-Trainings Work
Do you know of a women's prison that could benefit? Here's what to do:
1. Send us an email and let us know of your interest.
2. We mail (for free!) the interested prison a set of Dance To Be Free workout DVDs (7 classes, 50 minutes each) for the prison staff, recreation department, & inmates to review and experience for themselves.
3. If the DVDs generate interest, Dance To Be Free will begin talks to collaborate with the prison to bring a live Teacher Training program to the prison. DTBF brings the content, but DTBF relies on input from prison staff and inmates to create the best program for each prison's individual needs.
4. Inmates are certified as Dance To Be Free dance instructors which provides continued sense of purpose for those still in prison as they lead recreational dance classes and meaningful skills & work opportunities for the women after their release.